Jun 27, 2009

Calibrating monitor

One of the most important thing to do with your computer if you involve with digital photography is calibrating your monitor.

Why do we need to calibrate our monitor?

If you print your photo, you maybe realised that what you print and what you see on computer screen is just a little bit different. Maybe the colours are a little bit off, what suppose to be blue is not blue enough and so on. You maybe experienced this when viewing photos taken by pros.

This problem are majorly caused by uncalibrated monitor. If you are colour blind, it is an another matter.

How to calibrate?

There are many free software and also those that you need to pay for in the internet. There also some people who are kind to build website for you to calibrate your monitor. Even some give you the setting and colour profile according to your monitor brands. But the most effective and pricey method is to buy a calibration hardware.


The latter is not my choice. I tried to calibrate my monitor using freeware that I downloaded from a site, and it is very hard. At last, I found a site that give me the setting and colour profile to calibrate my monitor. but stills, I can't even tell if my monitor are truly calibrated or not.

I pick a photo and compare between the print and what displayed on the monitor. Well, it is not an effective method as there are possibilities that my printer don't get it right when do the printing. But it the best method so far (I think).

Summary: if you shoot in RAW (I do), print your photo (I do), you should calibrate your monitor. If you just shoot in JPEG and leave it all to the camera's intelligence (I don't), there is no need to worry so much about your monitor.

Happy calibrating!

0 reflections:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger